Friday, May 22, 2009

Carnal Christian

All,

I give up...I can't post on my own site on any of my computers...why?

Discuss carnality with me...Mark and Wayne are saying some curious things about carnality...both seeming to think Christians can and cannot be carnal.

What is your take? I think 1 Corinthians 3 is overwelmingly clear...am I alone on this one?

Grace,

Fred

P.S. I do think there is no way to avoid Christians sinning...which begs for, "Why would the Holy Spirit let us sin at all?"...and..."If we can sin some by the Holy Spirit's permission, then why not a lot?"

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Lybrand,
    I hope you don't mind my reposting my comment from the previous post. Here it is -

    Also, the "carnal Christians" in Corinth... What is the standard? Christ Himself? Then wouldn't we all be "carnal" in comparison? Hodges and Ryrie suggest that one who once professed Christ can even lose faith and become hostile to the things of God for the remainder of their lives. Hmmm. Where in the Bible do they see such a model? Certainly not in Corinth. Even these folk "[came] behind in no gift" and were "waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". 1 Cor. 1:7. It says that Paul praised them because they remembered him in all things and kept the ordinances as he delivered them to them. 1 Cor. 11:2. What about that great chapter, 2 Cor. 7:7 where mwe read of their earnest desire, their mourning, their fervent mind toward Paul. What about the repentance mentioned in verse 9?

    For the Free Grace Theology proponent's definition of the "carnal Christian" well, he can't point to the Corintian Church.

    ReplyDelete